Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

UFO Thursday - Counting to 600

THIS, my friends, is what 600 red and neutral half square triangles looks like.

S. I. X. HUNDRED!


Each basket is about 12" long and the basket on the left is just crammed full of HST's, the right is about 3/4 full. I can finally move forward on my RollRollCottonBoll quilt - yeh, I know, Bonnie's mystery quilt from last fall.

What I didn't think to photograph is "how" I counted from 0 to 600. I have used this method for quite some time but generally for much smaller projects.

 I have a collection of 10 antique thimbles that Mom gave me a few years ago. For every 5 (insert HST/9-patch/cut piece/etc) I would place a thimble on it's side. When it was up to 10 the thimble is placed on end. 10 thimbles makes a hundred and that was usually sufficient. This time however I was really slow in making the HSTs so I used a toothpick for 100 and then went back to the thimbles to get to the next 100. 6 toothpicks and I was FINALLY done :) A private little happy dance soon followed.

3 comments:

Denise :) said...

That, my friend, is a LOT of HSTs! Clever way to count, too. I'll have to remember that. I wish you'd filmed/shared your little happy dance. I bet it was cute. :)

Janet O. said...

I, too, would liked to have seen the happy dance. That is a lot of HSTs! Sometimes that can be a daunting task to even want to get started, when you know how many you have to make.
Recently I chided Bonnie for doing her mystery quilts at the holiday season when it is already so busy. She pointed out that she has to do them while she is home long enough--and that is the holidays. But she also let me know that I can just save the instructions and make them later. That was a "duh" moment for me. You, obviously, already thought of that! : )

Michelle said...

Well done!
I have only printed the pattern. Lol.
Maybe one day I will make it.