Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Zip me up!


One of the projects I was able to work on this past weekend were these zippered pouches. They are made very similarly to my flat zippered pouches but these are much bigger with box bottom pleats. The purple/black/white version ("large") just needs that large button sewn on. The "medium" size with the chocolate fabric is for me and since I didn't know if I could find large ric rac or some other decoration for it, I still need to do the side and bottom seams. Same situation for the RWB "small" version.




These are very fun to make with the variety of zipper colors available and use scraps, which I KNOW you have just sitting around! Don't be afraid of the zippers - her method makes it sew easy I can almost do them in my sleep.

I bought my pattern locally but you can find it about halfway down this page on the Atkinson Designs website.  The pattern does call for for fusible fleece but I've only ever used regular batting since it's really a quilt as you go project and a walking foot prevents any slippage. I've also modified the fabric cutting sizes since I didn't care for the waste that I was throwing away.

5 comments:

Denise :) said...

Sarah, what fun these are!! You've done a marvelous job and I love your fabric choices, too! The purple, black and white one is stunning -- love the combinations of patterns!!! :)

Janet O. said...

I love the RWB. The chocolate one looks yummy! I'm thinking of all kinds of fun things they could be used for, but I must not get sidetracked!

Lauren Sgranfetto said...

I've used a very similar technique and they are soooo easy- I've made at least 140 of the little size with the bottom pleats for fundraisers, etc.
These look great!

Michelle said...

Very nice!
Mum has something similar that she keeps her foot pedal for her machine in.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great color combinations on your little pouches!