Feline Friday is hosted every friday and HELP for Hexie-aholics is hosted on the 17th of each month. We hope you'll join us!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Meet Lady...


...my female Downy Woodpecker. Sometimes Woody stops by, but not as often.

Lady is probably the least skittish bird I have around - I can stand at the door and watch forever whereas the House Finches flee when I walk thru the room that faces their feeder. This morning she chirped her arrival but the door was still closed so the pic (taken thru glass door and screen) is a bit darker than I like.

This week I'll be asking Dad to help me make some Oriole feeders - copying Barb's design. It's a small plywood platform on a stake and on top of that is screwed the lid to a peanut butter jar. The lid holds grape jelly.

I have the hummingbird feeders out but no sign of hummers at my house yet. Mom has had several so I know they are around...

4 comments:

Denise :) said...

HOW FUNNY! I *just* responded to your comment about my hummingbirds and then read your posts about your downy and hummingbirds! We really are GMTA! I love our little downy woodpeckers -- they're so sweet! We could never do an Oriole feeder like that -- though I'd desperately love to attract some. The raccoons would make short work of the grape jelly!! :)

Angie said...

I would love to try the Oriole feeder---hoping you will post a picture of it when you have yours done. I adore the birds and spend lots of time watching them. :) Happy Spring!

Anonymous said...

If your dad makes the feeder, I know it will be made just right. Anxious to see it.
Lillian
lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

Lauren Sgranfetto said...

She is gorgeous! I love bird watching-